About the Course
Blockchain technology is set to revolutionize how banks, central banks, regulators and brokerage firms operate.
The technological enhancements provide solutions to make current processes more efficient, more accurate and more suited towards market developments.
With a rapidly changing environment it becomes difficult to know where a company in the financial services sector can benefit from Blockchain and what the direct impact is within one's area of expertise. This course aims to build up one's knowledge base to take advantage of progress within the field of Blockchain.
Who should attend | Target Audience
This course can be taken by anyone who is interested in how blockchain can transform the financial services industry. Professionals working within the following areas may derive further benefit:
- Strategy and Business Development
- Foreign Exchange
- Trade Finance
By the end of this course you will:
- Understand what a Blockchain is and why it matters
- Have an overview of the Blockchain industry landscape
- Understand what Blockchains can and cannot do (Bitcoin and Smart Contracts)
- Understand the role of Cryptocurrencies and ICOs
- Gain an understanding of whether Blockchain is Sharia'a compliant or not
- Understand the financial applications and implications of Blockchain in brokerage,
- trade finance, clearing and settlement and KYC procedures
- Have an overview of how different countries are regulating and approaching Blockchain
How you will learn | Training Methodology
Classroom training, using regular worked examples, topical and contextual with a focus on the Gulf Region
- What is Blockchain
- The emergence of Blockchain and its potential to disrupt
- Why it matters
- What it means for financial services
Blockchain Industry Landscape
- Major players
- Use case spectrum
- Current developments in UAE & GCC
- What is Bitcoin?
- Difference between Bitcoin and Blockchain
- Is Bitcoin sustainable?
- What are smart contracts
- Ethereum introduction
- How does it impact financial services?
- Public vs private
Crypto currencies and ICOs
- What are Crypto currencies?
- What are ICOs?
- Digital economy
- Is it Sharia’a compliant?
Applications of Blockchain in finance
- Blockchain applied to:
- Trade finance,
- Clearing and settlement,
- Implication of these applications
Real Use Cases
- Use cases of financial applications from start-ups, institutions and central banks
- Cross country comparison on Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies
Ahmed Al-Balaghi is a Blockchain Researcher and Managing Director at Viewfin Middle East focusing his research on FinTech, Blockchain and global industry trends. Having spent over a year within the Blockchain industry in China and the U.K., he has developed deep industry expertise. His research spans across Blockchain pr otocols, digital assets, digital identity, cryptoeconomics and exchanges. Ahmed has also attended top Blockchain conferences all over the world and is in regular contact with key opinion leaders and relevant stakeholders.
He graduated with a first class degree from Queen Mary University of London studying Economics and Maths. He then was awarded a scholarship to study Mandarin at Fudan University for 2 years. During his time at Fudan, he was the Cofounder and President of the Fudan Blockchain Association and was the FinTech Lead for an entrepreneurship project in Shanghai with a team of UK-China entrepreneurs and the British Consulate General Shanghai.
Ahmed can also speak Arabic and Chinese.